As Banksy usually uses stencils to create his pieces I decided to create my own stencil to create pieces in his style of working, I began with a stencil of former president Obama and before creating a piece where I put paint through it I decided to overlay it over a series of bases to see how it could alter the stencils effect and impact.
I found that the multi tonal surface gave the piece a very unusual effect but could be seen as a standpoint on multicultural society in the 21st century through how the colours blend togetherbut noe appear to vastly dominate the others.
I found that when putting colour through the stencil that using black acrylic gives off a dynamic effect but also contrasts vastly in comparison to almost any background. I decided to use a base like this as to show how Obama had such an impact on the american ecosystem, but also how with him being the first African-American president had a vast impact on peoples opinions and altered the way in which we see people like him and perceive stereotypes in general. I found that the lighter blue worked better as it allowed the black to stand out more and looks more like the flag i was trying to emulate.
I found that the expressive marks detracted from the impact of the black stencil as it disguises the lines between them.
I found that the blended tones contrasted well against the black base giving off an effect of purity against sin and how we all change throughout our lives having a impact on both the world around us and our souls.
I then went onto create a stencil based around Donald Trump but I found that within this the lines of the body and its form was lost whilst it was being transferred and what it was intended to be is lost in the transfer. So as a result I learnt that I didn't need to remove such small elements to be effective and it was actually detrimental to its effect and in any others that I decide to create that I should remove larger more expressive pieces within my stencils.
I feel that within my next piece within this style of art I should try to use more expressive colours to create a more dynamic piece that builds upon what I have learnt from these previous experiments.
The next few pieces that i created were inspired by my New York experience.
I decided to try and overlay work in the style of Banksy to see how a textured background in the style of Koshylakov's work would alter the effects of the stencil art. Beginning with a preliminary sketch with shading of the areas that I intend to remove. Once I had removed the sections I placed my stencil over different backgrounds to see how the different backgrounds affected the effect of the design.
My favourite the stencils that I had created was that of the statue of liberty as it appeared the most intricate design but I feel that learning from my next few stencils I have learnt that I need to give the stencil a more stable structure so that it doesn't deteriorate so easily.
No comments:
Post a Comment