We had a short visit to Whitworth art gallery, unfortunately not long enough to see all of the pieces on exhibit. Long enough however to explore some of the pieces on show beginning with the work of Andy Warhol
I find that pieces like these with high amounts of contrast and bright bold colours to be the most effective kind of pieces in my eyes. I particularly find this to be true with Warhol's self portrait.
I found that although the monochromatic contrast wasn't as effective as the brown red and yellow that Warhol used within 'Electric chair' as it emphasises the details and allows for you to be able to appreciate the form and shapes within the piece.
I found that the colours and marks appear layered over the black silhouette, giving depth to the work and allowing focus onto the eyes and nose.
Many of Warhol's works have high contrast within them and it is used most likely to give contour to the pieces or to emphasise the focal points for the eyes of the observer.
I find that this piece that layers various elements of very contrasting facial features allows for greater contrast as it shows he various elements off in different ways and the individual elements contrast and compliment one another.
I found the way that the giraffes head appeared to be layered above the background hat appears almost like smoke to me .
I found that this visit was useful as it showed me a wide variety of art but, however I found that I didn't have enough time to view all of the work that I had wanted to view like the temporary exhibit of Idris Khan's abstract work.I feel like that would've been a series of pieces that could've had influence onto my current project and regrettably was unable to see.
No comments:
Post a Comment