Sunday, 5 February 2017

Photo shoot Feb 4th and 5th

I went out to collect sources that are of street art both commissioned and vandalism to show the contrast in quality and emphasis on detail.
I began by studying the commissioned art like that on the wall outside of the crew bar on queens road and the memorials to those who have lost their battles with illness. The art outside the crew and on their truck is filled with references to rock and metal music with most of the symbols of music being created in monochrome tones.


 Another that I decided to look into was a piece created a while ago on the back wall to the abbey theatre It appears obvious that this piece was created far earlier that any of the others in the area as it appearing aged in places and it appears of a more precise nature than that of most modern street art.


 This piece was created as a memorial to those that had lost their lives as a well created piece that serves to honour their memories, with the quotes of peace and immortality serving to cement their memory and allow for those who knew them to see them never forgotten. This piece was created in my local park and at the time of its creation there was a lot of local media coverage over the project and many came to see the piece and pay their respects.



 I found this to be my favourite of the commissioned pieces as I find that the contrast between the pink and blue to be enticing me to look towards the piece and the shape allows for an interesting composition of colour and mark making.


 This piece by the Ropewalk in Nuneaton town centre was created in 2016 and I do not know much about the piece, but I find the way in which they built up the layers of paint to blend the colours to create a realistic looking portrait of him inspiring as a technique like this I could use when I work with media like oil pastels.








I then got onto looking at vandalism through graffiti, this was generally less detailed than that of the commissioned art as it was most likely created within a shorter span of time and with more limited resources.







 





whilst out on this photo shoot I also created a few quick sketches to reinforce my understanding of the lines and form of street art,  
 I found that quick pencil sketches worked well in interpreting the graffiti, I particularly found that the skull from a piece on a abandoned building that had been boarded up just off from Edward street Nuneaton.
 Biro I found, is also a strong media for interpreting graffiti quickly and grasping the effect that I see when I am viewing the street art. I find that if I had a larger amount of time I could create a stronger expression of what I had saw using a cross hatching technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment