Thursday, 27 April 2017

Evaluation

Beginning this final outcome with the intention to create a piece to reflect how my memories of New York have begun to fade with the passing time with the aim to show contrast between light and dark but also the harmonious colours of green and red. Starting on this piece I found that texturing the board and creating the drips took far less time than I had planned for so as a result, I found myself being ahead of where I initially wanted to be meaning that if all remains to time from here I will be utilising more time for refinement of my prep work. I also found adding small fleck of black and white acrylic added motion to the piece and the delicate marks contrasted the very vivid and intensely coloured ink marks.

When it came to creating the drips for for within the outcome after they had dried, I realised how the glue that I had used didn't have the same properties that were essential to them appearing and feeling the way that I had intended. As they were brittle and splintered apart as I tried to take them off the sheet that I had created them on, I believe that this was due to the glue being inelastic and not having enough water within it. As a result I had to create new drips with a different type of glue that is a little thinner and also has the elastic properties required.

Once I had created the elements were considered for where within the composition they would fit and with each also carefully thinking of how the colours would flow within the piece, and also how I should lay out the elements of different materials trying to show how all of the memories happen so fast and can be overwhelming

Once I began assembling my piece I found that for the elements that I was adding towards the end of a long wire required more hot glue and time to set fully into place due to its minimal supporting structure, also they were more likely to fall off and have to be re attached. I also discovered that when adding my drips that I didn't have enough green drips for my preference and it seemed rather red dominant so as a result I created a few more and ensured that the length was long enough to be hanging over the bottom of the piece.



 Overall I feel that the piece has been a success as I felt it portrayed the intentions for this piece in a clear and cohesive way building upon techniques and knowledge gained throughout this project. I felt that using the New York experience as a focal point for my outcome as for me it was the major turning point and inspiring factor within this component driving me towards the progression that I followed with greater enthusiasm that I had prior to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment